- (0,5 fte) Assistant Professor, Centre for Language Studies / Department of Language & Communication, Radboud University, Nijmegen (permanent appointment), 1 / 2016 – current: senior researcher and lecturer.
- (0,4 fte) Speech and Language Pathologist, Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen (permanent appointment), 03 / 2012 – current: involved with the clinical assessment and treatment of very complex communication disorders in adults with brain injury, the development of clinical policies as well as applied scientific research.
- (0,5 fte) Assistant Professor, Centre for Language Studies / Department of Linguistics, Radboud University, Nijmegen (sent on secondment by the Sint Maartenskliniek), 10 / 2012 – 12 / 2015
- (0,1 fte) Lecturer, Faculty of Arts, Department of Linguistics, Radboud University, Nijmegen, 06 / 2010 – 09 / 2012
- (0,5 fte) Junior Postdoctoral Clinical Researcher, OSTT (Dutch acronym for Centre of Expertise for the Application of Speech and Language Technology in Rehabilitation ), Sint Maartenskliniek RD&E, Nijmegen, 01 / 2009 – 09 / 2012
- (0,5 fte) Junior researcher working towards a PhD, Sint Maartenskliniek RD&E, Nijmegen (as an external PhD-student of Radboud University, Nijmegen), 07 / 2001 – 12 / 2008
- (0,4 fte) Speech and Language Therapist, Sint Maartenskliniek, Nijmegen (permanent appointment), 02 / 2000 – 02 / 2012
- PhD in Social Science, Radboud University, Nijmegen, December 2008
Title PhD thesis: Speaking in ellipses: The effect of a compensatory style of speech on functional communication in chronic agrammatism
Supervisors: Professor H.H.J. Kolk, PhD & Professor A.C.M. Rietveld, PhD
- Bachelor’s degree in Speech and Language Therapy, HAN University of Applied Sciences, Nijmegen, January 2000
- Master’s degree in Speech and Language Pathology, Radboud University, Nijmegen, June 1999
- First-year diploma in Psychology, Radboud University, Nijmegen, July 1995
OCCASIONAL REVIEWER FOR
- Journals: Aphasiology, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, Speech Communication, Stem- Spraak- en Taalpathologie
- Proceedings: CHI Paper & Notes (Conference on Human-Computer Interaction)
- Book on speech and language disorders: Garant (Antwerp, Belgium)
- Research proposals: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Revalidatiefonds
- Small Research Grant, Centre for Language Studies, Pilot-study into the effectiveness of therapeutic app SimpTell for speakers with aphasia. Project group: M. Ruiter (applicant), A. Roelofs, V. Piai & T. Bouman (student assistant).
- Utilization project within the NWO Gravitation Consortium “Language in Interaction” concerning the implementation of “SIMPTELL: Semi-independent Interactive Multimodal Production Training of ELLipses (in Broca’s aphasia)” (Project group: Prof. A. Roelofs, Dr. M. Ruiter, Dr. V. Piai, Prof. dr. R. Kessels and Prof. dr. P. Desain). 09/2016
- Communication & Revalidation DigiPoli (now called ComPoli) in Innovatieprogramma Revalidatie (ZonMw). Project group: L. Beijer (main applicant), P. Holtus, M. Ruiter, T. Rietveld, A. Geurts, H. Strik, & P. Desain, 2011-2013.
- Telehealth and aphasia therapy: Implementation of teletherapy for aphasia in Innovatieprogramma Revalidatie (ZonMw). Project group: M. Ruiter (main applicant), P. Holtus, J. van Limbeek, & A. Rietveld, 2010-2011.
OTHER RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS
- University Teaching Qualification (BKO), 12 / 2012
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE), grade A (level C2: proficient user of English), 06 / 2012
- As a clinical researcher registered in the NFU BROK register (16027) from 02/2016 up to 05/2023 (BROK: Basic course on Regulations and Organisation for Clinical Investigators).
- As a Speech and Language Therapist registered in the Quality Register of Allied Health Professions (Kwaliteitsgeregistreerd in register Logopedisten, Kwaliteitsregister Paramedici, KP-nummer 19901977691). Quality registration for the period up to 11/2020.
- As an aphasia therapist (Afasietherapeut) registered in the NVLF aphasia register from 02/2016 up to 02/2021.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- Member of the Ethics Assessment Committee Humanities of the of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies, Radboud University, 9/2017-current.
- Member (chair) sub-examination board of the Bachelor in Linguistics, Radboud University, together with Dr. Mirjam Broersma and Dr.Stefan Grondelaers (secretary), 10/2015 – current
- RELEASE project collaborator (as affiliated with both Sint Maartenskliniek rehabilitation centre and Radboud University). ‘REhabilitation and recovery of peopLE with Aphasia after Stroke’ (RELEASE; chief investigator: Prof Marian Brady, Glasgow Caledonian University) seeks to explore (1) the natural history of language recovery, (2) the patient, aphasia and stroke characteristics which are linked to language recovery outcomes and (3) the components of effective aphasia rehabilitation interventions, 12/2016 – current.
- Chair programme committee of the Dutch Aphasia Conference [Afasieconferentie] “State of the Art 2018”, 4 & 5 October 2019, Zeist, the Netherlands, together with Judith Feiken, Femke Nouwens, Saskia Mooijman & Katja Batens.
- Member programme committee of the Dutch Aphasia Conference [Afasieconferentie] “State of the Art 2018”, 5 & 6 October 2018, Zeist, the Netherlands, together with Henriette van der Wielen (chair), Sandra Wielaert, Judith Feiken & Femke Nouwens.
- Member programme committee of the Dutch Aphasia Conference [Afasieconferentie] “State of the Art 2017”, 6 & 7 October 2017, Zeist, the Netherlands, together with Henriette van der Wielen (chair), Sandra Wielaert & Jolien Wilschut.
- Member programme committee of the Dutch Aphasia Conference [Afasieconferentie] “State of the Art 2016”, 7 & 8 October 2016, Zeist, the Netherlands, together with Henriette van der Wielen (chair), Philine Berns, Joost Hurkmans & Sandra Wielaert.
- Member resonance group for the following report: Rietveld, T., & Stolte, I. (2005). Taal- en spraaktechnologie en communicatieve beperkingen[Human language technology and communicative disabilities]. Report commissioned by the Dutch Language Union: The Hague.
- Member Career Services Committee (Beroepenveldcommissie), Speech and Language Therapy HAN University of Applied Sciences, 04 / 2019 – current
- External examiner for Bachelor’s theses Speech and Language Therapy HAN University of Applied Sciences, 06 / 2013 – current
- External supervisor Bachelor’s examinations in Speech and Language Therapy at HAN University of Applied Sciences, 06 / 2013 – 02 / 2015